February 16, 2010

"Fireflies" by Owl City is a Terrible, Terrible, Terrible Song

There's a lot of downtime as a super-powered crimefighter. To help ease the boredom of sitting around in a secret underground lair waiting for evil to rear its head, I had satellite radio installed, and the team settled democratically on the "Top-40 Hits" station.

Now, at least four times a day, I am subjected to "Fireflies" by Owl City. To complement the grating, ubiquitous robot voice that's now overused by everyone from Cher to Ke$ha to T-Pain, "Fireflies" employs some of the most pedantic, saccharine lyrics since Raffi rowed a boat. Masticate, if you dare:
You would not believe your eyes
If ten million fireflies
Lit up the world as I fell asleep

'Cause they'd fill the open air
And leave teardrops everywhere
You'd think me rude
But I would just stand and stare

I'd like to make myself believe
That planet Earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay
Awake when I'm asleep
'Cause everything is never as it seems
[The song breaks for a moment here to allow the listener to empty his vomit bucket and replace the liner.]
'Cause I'd get a thousand hugs
From ten thousand lightning bugs
As they tried to teach me how to dance

A foxtrot above my head
A sock hop beneath my bed
A disco ball is just hanging by a thread
Sheesh. Singer / "songwriter" Adam Young says he was "inspired" to "write" the "lyrics" while camping. He saw a bunch of bugs and "After that night, it got me thinking", he said. So a swarm of bugs got you thinking about writing a song about a swarm of bugs? That's deep, man.

As a public service, I offer the following palate-cleanser:
"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief
"There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
Businessmen, they drink my wine, ploughmen dig my earth
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth"

"No reason to get excited," the thief, he kindly spoke
"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late."

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl
From Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower". What are your favorite / least-favorite lyrics? Share with the class in the comments section.

9 comments:

  1. a favorite of mine:

    your heroes will help you find good in yourself / your friends won't forsake you for somebody else / they'll both stand beside you through think and through thin / that's how it goes with heroes and friends (randy travis, "heroes and friends")

    ReplyDelete
  2. are we human or are we dancers?

    Worst lyrics of all time!!!!! The Killers i think

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOB DYLAN WAS A DOUSCH AND U DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT AUTOTUNE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Douche or not, Mr Dylan will no doubt be devestated to find out he's dead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just because some 12 year old girl wants to get "a thousand hugs from ten thousand lighting bugs", has no idea how to spell Douche and doesn't know who Bob Dylan is or if he is still alive doesn't mean that we should discount her understanding of the awesome talent it take to use the autotune.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Instead of an Autotuner, I find it just as affective to grab the skin on my through and jiggle it whilst singing.
    Also, Owl City's lyrics are comparitive to that of the greatest Poet Leaureate of our time, Jewel.
    Also, how do you pronounce Ke$ha? Is it a hard dollar sign sound, or not?

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the way back home... how long did it seem?
    3 days or 4? snow glazed all the trees
    my mother held me... like a motorcycle, so warm...
    we sang melody...
    campin out all night... slow moves in the light...
    of all the things that you've seen...
    was the motorcycle so warm you sang melody?
    at that moment I'd know... just how close we could be
    and though it always was mine... it always seemed new to me
    10,000 colors in all... eyes like caves on my cheeks
    to all the people I've loved... don't think poor of me
    it wasn't till I woke up... that I could hold down a joke or a job or a dream
    but then all three are one in the same
    and ALL then are one in the same
    and all us are one in the same

    -My Morning Jacket, "One in the Same"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, how do you pronounce Ke$ha?

    I assumed it was pronounced "Kee-dollar-ha", like the way these kids text "str8".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel I must add something more to this thread. Want to know what I consider the worst lyric in contemporary pop?

    "Pull me down hard and drown me in love"
    -Come On Get Higher by Matt Nathanson

    Wha...? Frankly, that sounds unpleasant and more than a little dangerous. What's wrong with "Let's descend and take a little dip in some love"?? I could get on board with that. Love-dipping.

    (By the way, this is J.R. - I have a blogger account now so put that in your pipe and smoke it)

    ReplyDelete