April 14, 2010

The Road I'd Rather Not Have Traveled

What are the most horrible things you can imagine? Loneliness? Helplessness? Unceasing mortal fear from morning to night?

What about specifics? A human newborn baby roasting on a spit at an abandoned campsite? A cellar full of naked human livestock, some with cauterized stumps where limbs have been removed as food for their captors? A solemn promise to murder your small child -- to smash his brain with a stone -- rather than let him be captured by sodomites and cannibals?

These are the essential elements of Cormac McCarthy's post-apocalyptic novel The Road, without doubt the most terrible, beautiful, miserable, punishing book I have ever read.

Because I care for my readers, I beg you to skip this book. The Road, a Pulitzer winner, has been called the best book of the last twenty-five years and the best book of the decade, but I call the reading of it masochistic. There is no levity. The anemic tendrils of hope are short-lived and emphatically dashed. Even the vast sections of tedium are laced with shivering omen.

Whatever McCarthy's grand intended message, it vanished like so much sugar in a ladleful of ipecac. This is no Diary of a Young Girl; this is exploitative horror from whole cloth masquerading as social commentary -- a literary Marilyn Manson album.

An Amazon Kindle looms large on my Christmas list this year. I know now I'd pay a hefty premium for an "Un-Read This Book" feature.

8 comments:

  1. So you are telling me it's the feel good book of the year? A real uplifting story with heart? Can't wait to distract myself from the daily grind with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to make too much of a straw man, but I get the impression that many of the book's fans viscerally enjoy seeing mankind's beastly comeuppance for its collective sins.

    Environmentalists especially celebrate the book as a stern warning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shudder every time I think about that book, but I'd never choose the un-read option. Does that put me in the masochistic camp? Maybe, but I don't generally live there.

    I agree with everything you said, save one: I don't think the book was masquerading as social commentary. I think it was exploring a man through his attempt to protect his son in a truly hopeless situation. The destroyed world wasn't a character, but was just the stage for the question: how do you live in pure survival mode, with no hope, but with your son - the love of your life as well as your primary connection to an alternate existence - watching and learning?

    It evoked, powerfully, everything you said; but also love, and also powerfully. So yeah, I read it as the most depressing, oppressive, soul-crushing love story of all time. But I can't wish to un-read a book that made me feel so much, so powerfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shudder every time I think about that book, but I'd never choose the un-read option. Does that put me in the masochistic camp? Maybe, but I don't generally live there.

    I agree with everything you said, save one: I don't think the book was masquerading as social commentary. I think it was exploring a man through his attempt to protect his son in a truly hopeless situation. The destroyed world wasn't a character, but was just the stage for the question: how do you live in pure survival mode, with no hope, but with your son watching and learning?

    It evoked, powerfully, everything you said; but also love, and also powerfully. So yeah, I read it as the most depressing, oppressive, soul-crushing love story of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But I can't wish to un-read a book that made me feel so much, so powerfully.

    Getting punched in the gonads makes me feel something pretty powerful too.

    No, but seriously; just about every other page, I flipped between your interpretation and mine. I think it was just McCarthy's poor fortune the book ended on an even-numbered page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, I'm so happy I put that down and ended up with, "The Life and Times of Macho-Man Randy Savage". Although, it could also be interpreted as soul-crushing/depressing considered you will never be Macho-Man Randy Savage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "The Life and Times of Macho-Man Randy Savage", Chapter 37:

    Miss Elizabeth gingerly touched my bruised deltoid. "Does that hurt?" she asked. "Not as much as it would if you stopped," I replied. Our kiss was immediate and storybook-perfect. Still somehow, I could only think of my meeting the next day with the Slim Jim execs...

    ReplyDelete