May 11, 2010

One of These Days, I’ll Give to NPR



OK, not likely, but they certainly set the clock back a few more months this morning (and I admit, I do feel a twinge of guilt every pledge drive in the seconds it takes me to lunge toward the radio and change the channel). The peoples’ radio also provided evidence that the proliferation of new media sources, and the corresponding decline of the old, allows for a more informed demos (and certainly not a crisis requiring a bailout).

Here’s how it happened: I’m rockin’ along this morning to the sweet sounds of Steve Inskeep and Renee Montagne, and find myself being informed about the trusting nature of today’s yoots toward the federal government. I’m hearing about a huge gap in trust between those under 30 and the rest of us toward Unca’ Sam. The evidently trusting Millennials are contrasted with the “never trust anyone over 30” Flower Children. For evidence we get saccharine quotes from Brittany (“I feel like they are trying to do what's best for us and their constituents.”) and Tucker ("It gives you hope, and that hope turns into trust in the government, because you believe that things can change — or like good things can happen.”) Like, indeed. Are we on the verge of a statist paradise, where Potemkin despots dance naked under rainbows with their perpetually naïve serfs?

Alas, that proud day isn’t as close as it sounded this morning. I’ve read the NPR transcript now and can see that I missed the one “it’s worth noting that” that would’ve somewhat clued me in, but it was only upon seeing the survey in question on Hit'n'Run that I discovered the results of the story’s foundational survey. In fact, NPR themselves had previously run the results under a headline of “Trust In Government Hits Near-Historic Low.” It turns out 20% of those over 30 agreed with the statement “Do you trust the federal government to do what is right?” And those youthful revolutionaries? 32% of them agreed.

I have seen our future, and it is cynical. And it is good.

(Also, if you only get your news from one source - start practicing your naked rainbow dance.)

9 comments:

  1. My local NPR affiliate this year said they would end the pledge drive when they reached their pre-set financial goal. IIRC, it only took three days.

    Pretty funny that the most motivating action they've ever taken was to promise to end the drive. Makes you wonder how high they could set the bar under the threat of "This pledge drive will just keep going until..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Schweaty Balls is so last week. Now it's all about the Dusty Muffins.

    God bless Betty White.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if the only source I get my news from is Scotticus Finch? Is that ok?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's weird is that SF is the only place I get my news too. It's turtles all the way down around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, my husband just asked what I planned to make for dinner. I was thinking Mexican, but I have a sudden hankering to bake...muffins;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, turtles don't mess around... they're just slow.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sween/4256493123/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betty White was great, but come on! Dusty Muffins over Schweaty Balls? That's like saying The Empire Strikes Back is better than Star Wars, or The Godfather II is better than the Godfather, or... what's that? They do, do they? Um, nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Redacted, I read your last post and presumed by your Naomi Klein remark, you preferred muffins. I think we are born with our taste, and it is not a choice. Though, I agree Star Wars, over any of the others, but Godfather movies suck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool Ranch Muffins plz.

    ReplyDelete