July 20, 2009

From gods' Lips: Green Gauntlet on Freedom, by Carolyn Woodward

In June, I had the opportunity to interview members of the Guardian Force while researching my upcoming book on superheroes, "From gods' Lips". One question I posed to every member was: What does freedom mean to you? Portions of their answers will appear in this ongoing series.

First is Guardian Force veteran Green Gauntlet:
Finch is the one hung up on “freedom” as some kind of tangible endgame, like one day the last bonehead will go tits-up and suddenly we’ll all be happy and safe and prosperous.

To me, “freedom” is just a word, like “aspirin” or “Camaro” or “huckleberry”. I’m just trying to build the world I want to live in, you know, one obstacle at a time. You don’t want to let me smoke dope? Frak you, chief. You want to tell me what kind of car I have to drive? Frak you. You want to tell a woman she’s not allowed to sell the most sought-after commodity on Earth – you know what I’m talking about. Triple-frak you. [Laughs] Finch is gonna kill me for that one. But it’s the truth.

See, I’m out here day in, day out taking punches from Rhino-man and dodging lightning bolts and shit. So yeah: say all you want about liberty, freedom, justice. If I’m gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is “poon-tang”.

No comments:

Post a Comment