July 21, 2009

"I Knew Ward Cleaver. Ward Cleaver was a Friend of Mine. You, Sir, are no Ward Cleaver."


Thank the gods I have crimefighting.

There was a time, after floundering through my twenties from job to job and struggling to find much success at anything, that I embraced the comforting idea that I had been born to be a father. It was my calling, I decided. Protecting, nurturing, and caring for my son would – I was certain – come as naturally to me as drafting did to Frank Lloyd Wright. Just as Ted Williams was a hitter, I would be a father.

The sentiment explained my restlessness at work, since I had no more business pushing pencils than Julia Child had digging ditches, right? I gripped the idea and let it pull me through the workweeks like a rescue rope in a flooded river. I had purpose now; meaning, and motivation.

Reality has been rudely unaccommodating of my expectations. I may be Gretzky in my mind, but fatherhood is more oil painting than ice hockey.

Now, I love my son, and fiercely. I stare at him in my wife’s arms and I know that I would charge the Maginot Line armed with sparklers if that’s what it took to protect him. But that is where he is happiest: in her arms; and the feeling is fairly mutual. I’m frustrated faster than I should be; I’m stymied by his fussing; I’m bored by his squirming. Desperately I want to live up to Heathcliff Huxtable, but each successive evening proves me more Al Bundy. Of course I will never give up, and I’m certain a competent fatherhood will settle in on me just as it has on other men for thousands of years. Still, it would have been nice to be a natural.

So, as I said, thank the gods I have crimefighting. Without that clear and fulfilling calling, I might be left to wonder what the hell I’m here for after all...

4 comments:

  1. And just wait - after you spend years of tossing a football in the backyard, coaching teams, going to every game and he makes it to the pros and wins the Super Bowl, he'll look into that camera and say those two words...

    "Hi Mom!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or maybe this will relate a little better - you spend your whole life teaching him to play poker, teaching him strategies and tells, and he grows up and makes it the pros, and then when he saves the galax - I mean wins the World Series of Poker - he looks into the camera and says "Hi Mom!"

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like youre not much of a father...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The superman picture was so cute. "Reality has been rudely unaccommodating of my expectations" but you have seen nothing yet. He may just grow up to be a Liberal!

    ReplyDelete